RUC screen

Role(s): Client Administrator, Unit Manager, RUC Manager (for assigned vehicles)



From the New Zealand Transport Agency Waka Kotahi:

Anyone using New Zealand’s roads contributes towards their upkeep. Most road users pay levies when they buy fuel. Others, such as drivers of light diesel vehicles and heavy vehicles like trucks, pay through road user charges (RUC).

From 1 April 2024, owners of light electric vehicles will need to buy a road user charges (RUC) licence and display it on their windscreen.

This includes plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs). It doesn't include hybrid vehicles that can’t plug in to recharge.

EROAD manages the purchase of electronic Road User Charges (eRUC) on behalf of the government.

Displaying eRUC on the Ehubo

Drivers can display current and pending RUC licences on the Ehubo2 screen to check their vehicle’s current RUC status, or on request by an enforcement officer.

To view a vehicle’s eRUC licence on the Ehubo:

  1. Navigate to the Home screen.

  2. Select RUC on your Ehubo2 home screen.

  3. Tap arrows to scroll through current and pending RUC licences.

 Ehubo eRUC display

RUC licence management is handled from MyEROAD’s left menu > RUC.

01 RUC Licences

RUC Licences

The vehicles with the least amount of distance left on their Distance Licence are displayed at the top of the screen. Select a line to see any currently applied

  • AutoRUC: Status of AutoRUC (automatically-purchased RUC) for that vehicle.

  • Asset icon: An indicative icon depending on asset category, eg. Trailer, truck, light vehicle, tractor, construction appliance, etc.

  • Name: The name associated with the asset.

  • Rego: Registration plate number

  • Distance reading: The odometer reading reported by the RUC-reporting device.

    • Ehubo Vehicle: Vehicles with an Ehubo or Tubo installed
    • Mechanical Hubo Vehicle: Vehicles that have a mechanical hubodometer
    • Odometer/Ehubo Lite Vehicle: Light vehicles 
  • Type: The max gross weight in tonnes of the vehicle/trailer.

  • Start Dist.: The odo reading at which the current licence starts.

  • Rem. : The distance remaining on the current licence.
    • Expired: Expired licence. Immediate attention required.
    • Warning: Nearing end of current licence and no new licence has been purchased.
    • Screenshot 2024 02 28 at 15.47.44 : Within current licence.

For example:

  • Vehicle A may be nearing the end of a Distance Licence (Distance Licence 1)
  • The next Distance Licence (Distance Licence 2) for Vehicle A has been purchased
  • An Additional Licence (Additional Licence 1) is currently in use

    If you click on Vehicle A, 3 licences will show in the right hand panel
  1. Distance Licence 2 - Pending
  2. Distance Licence 1 - Current
  3. An Additional Licence 1 - Current

Once the Additional Licence and current Distance Licence (Distance Licence 1) expire, they will disappear from the RUC screen and only Distance Licence 2 will display (until newer licences are purchased).

Expired licences will only display when no further licences have been purchased for a vehicle. A Red traffic light would display in the "Rem. KMs" column for this vehicle.

Licences for Mechanical Hubodometer Vehicles

Once a mechanical hubodometer vehicle has been added to the system it will display in the RUC screen (location will not be shown on any Mapping screens and no Off-Road reports will be available).

These vehicles will be displayed near the top of the RUC screen until you have purchased a licence through MyEROAD. From then on, the vehicle will appear near the bottom of the screen (or on following pages if you have a large number of vehicles in the system).

Once you have purchased a licence, print out the PDF RUC licence and display this as you would a RUC licence sticker/label.

Virtual odometer

Because the registered distance recorder for light vehicles is the vehicle's odometer, MyEROAD must estimate the vehicle's odometer using the installed Ehubo to support eRUC.

  • You can synchronise the distance reading displayed within the Depot with your vehicle's odometer reading creating a virtual odometer.

  • Only vehicles and assets with an Ehubo installed can synchronise the distance reading with their vehicle odometer within the RUC screen.

To sync your vehicle's odometer reading

  1. Click on the Odometer Reading button Odometer reading in the row for the vehicle you wish to update
  2. The "Synchronise Distance with Odometer Reading" screen will appear:
    • Enter the Odometer reading recently taken from the vehicle
    • Enter the date and time the reading was taken
  3. Click "Update" when finished

The vehicle's odometer should be entered regularly to ensure that the estimate in MyEROAD is accurate to support features such as off-road reporting.

Purchasing RUC through MyEROAD

You can purchase several types of distance licence. Each vehicle is usually assessed by the NZTA, which assigns it its licence class. For details, reference NZTA’s site.

At a high level:

  • D class licences are baseline distance licences that cover weights up to a certain level.

  • B class licences are for B-train vehicles towing several trailers.

  • H class licences are for overweight vehicles - that is, trucks dedicated to carrying cranes or massive weights.

  • If you want to change your RUC vehicle type you will need to complete a form called "Road user charges application to change RUC vehicle type" (RUCCV form), found on NZTA’s site.


Only vehicles that have been entered into the system will appear on this screen. If the vehicle you are looking for is not displayed, please contact your MyEROAD Client Administrator or Unit Manager.

If paying by credit card you will be required to enter card details.

  1. Select a vehicle.

  2. Tap Purchase RUC licence (bottom right). The Purchase RUC form appears.

  3. If applicable, enter the Licence type and Start Distance.

  4. Select the distance required.

  5. Choose your payment method.

  6. You will receive a quote from NZTA. Please check this carefully and once satisfied, click Purchase.

  7. The receipt screen will display once the transaction has succeeded. Click Finish which will display the RUC screen again.

In the RUC screen the column "Type" will show the type of licence and weight e.g. "D - 20" means a distance licence at 20 tonnes.

Purchasing RUC for vehicles that don’t have RUC-approved EROAD devices

For vehicles that don’t have a RUC-ready device onboard, customers may still purchase RUC through MyEROAD.

There’s no difference in the above process for buying RUC for a vehicle. Vehicles that DON’T have a RUC-ready device ('virtual vehicle') get a paper licence sent to them from EROAD, to apply to its windshield.

EROAD’s RUC-ready devices are the Ehubo2 and CoreHub Trailer.

Purchasing an Additional Licence

Vehicles that carry overweight can purchase an Additional RUC licence as required to cover specific journeys for the additional weight (not the total weight). Additional Licences are purchased against the powered vehicle and used in combination with the appropriate D Licence for all the vehicles in the combination.

  • The powered vehicle must have a valid Distance Licence before an Additional Licence can be purchased.

  • An Additional Licence cannot be purchased in combination with an H Distance Licence.

  • Additional Licences are purchased in increments of 1km, with a minimum of 10 kms required.

  • Additional weight is purchased in units of 1000kg. For example, if your vehicle's permanent RUC weight is 44,000kg, and the maximum gross mass allowed by your Permit to exceed mass limits is 48,000kg, then you would purchase 4 tonnes additional weight.

  • The Additional Licence is in addition to the Distance Licence rather than replacing it for the period it is valid.

  1. From the RUC Summary Screen, click a vehicle's +Wt button in the Additional column.

  2. Adjust the "Start Distance" to the distance this Additional Licence needs to start at.

  3. In the "Distance Required" type the kilometers needed.
    Note: Licence can be purchased in 1 km increments, with a minimum of 10km.

  4. In the "Weight" column type the additional weight required.
    If the RUC weight for your vehicle is 20 T and you need to travel at 23 T: Enter "3":

  5. If your vehicle operates in a combination click the "Add Trailers" button to choose or enter your trailers.
    Note: You must specify vehicle details of trailers that will be towed in the combination).
    Select the trailers by clicking on the arrow. This will make the vehicles show up in the right panel. Click the "Add" button:

  6. The selected trailers are now displayed as follows:
    Note: If you want to start over again, you can click the "Reset" button.

  7. The receipt screen will display once the transaction has succeeded. Click Finish which will display the RUC screen again.

  8. In the RUC screen the column "Type" will show the type of licence and weight e.g. "A - 3" means an additional licence at 3 tonnes.

Incorrect purchases

If you have purchased an incorrect licence through MyEROAD and would like to have this refunded, please call EROAD Support on 0800 437 623, option 2.

You will need to supply the details of the incorrect purchase, current odo readings, and information about what you wanted to purchase instead.

We will contact NZTA to arrange for the reversal of an incorrect purchase.

While we work to resolve these issues as soon as possible, refunds may take 3-5 business days to process.