You can now monitor drivers and ensure they are buckling up and wearing seat belts.
*Note: Some of the features below are only available to organisations with an in-vehicle device (Ehubo2) fitted in vehicles.
Seat Belt Solution
The seat belt solution consists of the following items.
- In-vehicle seat belt alert for the driver
- Seat belt activity reporting
- No Seat belt email notifications sent to designated users
The seat belt solution can be used to monitor, alert, and report driver seat belt usage to reinforce safe driving behaviour. This information is reported as Seat Belt Events (Seat belt On, Seat belt Off, No Seat belt) in the following areas of the EROAD Depot:
- Activity screen - in the Latest Activities panel below the Map
- Daily Activity Report
- Event Log screen
The vehicle needs to be fitted with an in-vehicle device to use all of the functionality. The seat belt mechanism must also be connected to one of the digital inputs on the EROAD unit.
The in-vehicle device beeps to remind drivers to fasten their seat belt if the vehicle is driven without the seat belt connected for more than 250m or at a speed of more than 20km/h.
A No Seat Belt event is displayed in the Depot and an email is sent to users, who are set up to receive Seat Belt notifications if the driver continues to drive with no seat belt.
A seat belt On or Off event is created and displayed in the Depot each time the driver connects or disconnects the seat belt.
Seat Belt Alerts
Meaning: Seat belt is connected
Meaning: Seat belt is disconnected
Meaning: Driver is driving without the seat belt connected
Setting up Seat Belt Monitoring
Perform the following steps to set up seat belt monitoring. Complete the vehicle setup before configuring the settings in Depot.
- The installer connects the seat belt to a digital input.
- Open the Administration menu.
- Click Vehicles/Assets in the left navigation pane.
- Click on the vehicle name that needs to be configured. Note: The Inputs column includes one or more inputs (e.g., Input1, Input2, and Input3).
- Click the Configure Input link in the Auxiliary Inputs section. (Please note that this link is only available after the installer has connected the input.)
- Select the input the installer has connected the seatbelt to (input 1, 2 or 3).
- Click the appropriate input drop-down arrow and then click Seat belt.
- Click the Include Idling button to include time on the Idling report or click the Exclude Idling button to omit idle time reporting when the input is enabled.
- Click the Update button to save your changes.
Setting Up Email Notifications
The last step in this process is to set up users to receive notifications when seat belts are not connected. Client Administrators and Unit Managers can set up users to receive the No Seat Belt notification. All added users receive the No Seat Belt notification for vehicles to which they have access. Any user can be set up to receive seat belt alert email messages for vehicles to which they have access, irrespective of the role the user has. Perform the following steps to set up notifications.
- Click the Notifications submenu under Administration.
- Use the Search User field to locate a user or select user name(s) from the list. Then click on a user name. The Manage Notifications dialog box appears.
- Click the checkbox beside Seat-belt Alert to enable the notification.
- Click the Save button.
Seat Belt Alerts and Activity Report Triggers
The seat belt alerts and activity reporting are generated under very specific conditions only, when the seat belt is not connected. An alert is generated when the ignition is ON and driving speed is greater than 20 km/h and/or the vehicle is driven more than 250m.
1. The driver is alerted by an audible beep and a visual prompt from the in-vehicle device (Ehubo). The alert beep sounds immediately to remind the driver to fasten the seat belt, if ignition is ON and speed is more than 20 km/h.
2. A No Seat Belt activity is generated and an email message is sent to designated users.
3. A No Seat Belt activity is also triggered when the vehicle is driven after being stopped (where speed is zero). This means that multiple alerts and activities are possible in one journey (between each Ignition ON and Ignition OFF).
4. Notification email is sent to designated users when a No Seat Belt activity is reported in the Depot. (Please note that no email is sent for Seat belt ON or Seat belt OFF events.)
5. The Daily Activity Report and Event log displays the following icons to show seat belt activity:
Ending the Seat Belt Alert
The audible seat belt alert on the in-vehicle device stops during any of the following occurrences:
- Seat belt is connected
- More than 30 seconds has passed since the alert started
- Ignition is turned off
- Vehicle has stopped - speed is zero
Note: It is not possible to disable or adjust the volume of the audible seat belt alerts.