What is a B Distance Licence?

A B-train combination vehicle is made up of three vehicles: one powered vehicle and two trailers. Only the leading trailer in the combination operates under the B Distance Licence The powered vehicle and second trailer each continue to operate under their own Distance Licence.


Vehicles which operate as a B-Train can apply to NZTA to have their leading trailer re-classified with a B RUC Vehicle Type (929 or 939) and then purchase a B Distance Licence. You will need to complete a form called "Road user charges application to change RUC vehicle type - RUCCV".

Please contact NZTA Road User Charges Contact Centre on 0800 655 644 about this.